Panama Mangroves

Welcome! I (Dr. Maggie Toscano, Geologist) am about to embark on a field excursion to the Bocas del Toro province of Panama with several scientists interested in the mangrove environment and how it functions.

We will be investigating how mangroves grow and develop in the presence or absence of certain key nutrients, how mangrove crabs and other species use the mangrove trees, roots, and the peat they form as their habitat, and how mangroves respond to sea-level and climate changes over long periods of time (thousands of years).

We will be staying at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Bocas del Toro. Stay tuned for news, science and photos over the next two weeks!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Sloths!

On Sunday I looked out the back window of our house and saw something brown and furry hanging from a tree! I thought it might be a howler monkey so I grabbed my camera. Just then it turned around I saw the smiling face of a three-toed tree sloth!  I took many pictures, but despite its name it moves pretty fast. Here are a couple of the best. I also made a video of it moving gracefully through the branches.


1 comment:

  1. Some how I just found this and am having fun reading through it. What an adventure, and a whole side of you I never get to see!!!

    ReplyDelete