Panama Mangroves

Welcome! I (Dr. Maggie Toscano, Geologist) am about to embark on a field excursion to the Bocas del Toro province of Panama with several scientists interested in the mangrove environment and how it functions.

We will be investigating how mangroves grow and develop in the presence or absence of certain key nutrients, how mangrove crabs and other species use the mangrove trees, roots, and the peat they form as their habitat, and how mangroves respond to sea-level and climate changes over long periods of time (thousands of years).

We will be staying at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Bocas del Toro. Stay tuned for news, science and photos over the next two weeks!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Getting Ready

What sorts of things does a scientist pack when going to the tropics to work in wet, muddy, buggy areas?

Field Fashion - Not!  We wear old, well-worn nylon pants, wicking t-shirts, bathing suits, wet suit booties and hats.  This time I sprayed my field clothes with Permethrin, an insecticide that helps keep the mosquitos and flies from biting through clothes and socks.  I didn't spray my neoprene booties, which are very thick. I figure if the bugs can bite through that, not much else will stop them! I have other repellent for my exposed skin.  I sprayed my hat so I might not have to apply repellent to my face, which is, as the term implies, "repellent" to me. I'll also bring old rubberized gardening gloves to protect my hands. We are going to get very dirty.

I also packed a rubberized (waterproof? I hope so) river bag to transport my supplies (notebooks, sunscreen, hand wipes, pencils, etc.) and waterproof camera.  I'll have my mask, fins and snorkel with me for any chance I might get to jump into the lagoon and take a look at the corals, sea urchins, sea stars, sea cucumbers and fish that inhabit the coral reef-mangrove environment. Mangrove prop roots hold entire ecosystems of sponges and corals and other invertebrates and are fascinating to look at. I'll wear gloves but won't touch any corals or sponges, which usually have stinging cells for defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment